22 October 2013

Breaking My New Year's Resolution: Thrift Store Book Haul!


Diets don't work! The problem with restricting yourself from something that you really like (be it physical or mental food) is that you end up craving them. In January I decided that I was spending too much money on books that I didn't have time to read. I resolved that I would not buy any books in 2013 and focus my attention on the many books I already owned, that were just collecting dust on my shelves.

I was doing really well in the beginning. Then I discovered a way to obtain books without actually spending money on them: Giveaways! I was outsmarting myself. The result: even more unread books. However, since I was signing up for all giveaways that I could find, I found myself having to read and review some books that I didn't really care to read. In the end, these new books did not encourage me to read, but rather had the opposite effect. I stopped signing up for giveaways.

Over the summer, I was a good girl again. I did buy a kindle, but I didn't buy any new books, but rather just obtained digital copies of the books I already had. I was reading more and I was loving it!

Then, when summer was over, and school started again, it all went to hell! I went to Value Village to get an old dictionary that I could use to decorate my new room. Who would have guessed that going to the book section of a thrift store when you are on a book buying ban is not a good idea? All of a sudden I found myself with 9(!) new books on my to-read pile!

However, I don't regret it. I got books that had been on my wish list for a very long time and that I am very excited to read. I spent less than $5 dollars on each of them - so it wasn't to painful for my wallet. Furthermore, buying 9 books in September has the same result as buying one book every month, which is really not that bad, right?

I binged, yes. I feel a little bit guilty, but my excitement definitely outweighs that. So without further ado, here are the books I got:


A Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows



Which of these books have you read? Any recommendations of which one I should read first? I would love to hear them!


No comments:

Post a Comment