30 November 2013

What I read: November 2013

November has been my most successful reading month thus far. I read 7 books! All relatively short, but nevertheless ... Here they are:


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Publisher: The Dial Press (2008)
Format: Hardcover, 274 pages
ISBN-13: 9780385340991

I discovered this in the book section of a thrift shop and instantly fell in love with the cover. I picked it up without knowing anything about it, and I am quite glad I did.


4 out of 5 ships! A book about booklovers - how much greater does it get. I loved the letter format, how well developed each and every character was. So many quotes that will warm a bibliophile's heart instantly! “That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you to another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive - all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment.”


Washington Square by James Henry [German Version]

Publisher: Deutsche Grammophon (2007)
Format: Audio CD
ISBN-13: 9783829120203
First published: Harper Brothers (1880) in the United States

Discovered this audiobook in my parents' collection.




2 out of 5 ships! Could not really bring myself to enjoy it and it took me several months to get through it. Not a single likeable character and not much happens either.


Breakfast at Tiffany's and Three Stories by Truman Capote

Publisher: Vintage Books (1993)
Format: Paperback 178 pages
ISBN-13: 9780679745655
First published: 1958

A birthday gift from a good friend. She knows I don't watch movie adaptations before I have read the book, and she also knows that one needs to have seen Breakfast at Tiffany's. Finally got to it nine months after my birthday and I should really watch the movie before my next birthday!

4 out of 5 ships! “What I found does the most good is just to get into a taxi and go to Tiffany's. It calms me down right away, the quietness and the proud look of it;nothing very bad could happen to you there. ”


Madalyn by Michael Köhlmeier [Original German Version]

Publisher: Hanser (2010)
Format: Hardcover, 173 pages
ISBN-13: 9783446235977

I am not sure whether this book was given to me by my mother or my grandmother.




3 out of 5 ships! The blurb promised a different perspective on a teenage love story: that of an adult author and friend of Madalyn's. However, we don't get much of his perspective at all. I found myself liking Madalyn at one moment, then becoming incredibly irritated with her the next. I suspect she just might have been too relatable, some of her thought too much like my own at that age.


Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Publisher: Penguin Popular Classics (1994)
Format: Paperback, 155
ISBN-13: 9780140620931
First published: 1597

Bought this at a bargain price along with a couple of other classics on my last day of high school - not ready to say goodbye to English class.



4 out of 5 ships! Whoever claimed this was a love story? What a piece of junk this would have been, had it not been written by Shakespeare!


Travels in the Scriptorium by Paul Auster

Publisher: Henry Holt and Co (2007)
Format: Hardcover, 145 pages
ISBN-13: 9780805081459
First published: 2005

My mother gave this to me after absolutely detesting it!




3 out of 5 ships! I quite enjoyed this. Not knowing what was happening kept me reading, and unlike many others I was not disappointed with the end. Give it a go!


Documentary Film: A Very Short Introduction by Patricia Aufderheide

Publisher: Oxford University Press (2007)
Format: Paperback, 176 pages
ISBN-13: 9780195182705
First published: 2007

Discovered in my university's library. Used it as some preliminary research for a paper on documentary film and realism.


4 out of 5 ships! Such an engaging and informative read. Got through it in no time and discovered many great documentary films in the process. I can recommend the 'A Very Short Introduction' series to anyone wanting to know the basics of, well, pretty much anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment